Keeping your contact lens container clean is as equally as important as keeping your contact lenses clean. Can you imagine putting something in your eye that’s dirty? Other than proper fitting, handling and wearing of contact lenses, keeping the contact lens container clean and dirt free is also very important. Whether what you have are disposable lenses, permanent contacts, soft contacts or even gas-permeable ones, they need to be kept clean and hygienic at all times, the comfort, health and safety of your eyes depends on this. Here are some easy tips on how to clean your contact lens container.
1) Before cleaning the contact lens case, wash your hands thoroughly with mild soap and water. Avoid putting any creams, lotions or oils in your hands. The residue from these products might settle on the contact lens case
2) Empty the contact lens case, it is best to wear them while cleaning the container. Using a piece of cotton ball and cleaning solution, wipe the container evenly, be sure to start with the least contaminated area which is found in the inside then to the most contaminated area, the outside portion of the case.
3) After wiping the solution, put enough amounts inside the container let it settle for 2 to 3 minutes then pour it down the drain.
4) Rinse the container with hot water. Make sure to remove any remaining storing or cleaning solution.
5) Using a small brush and mild soap, scrub the container gently. Use a small amount of soap, since too much can be difficult to remove. Scrub the entire case, the outside part, the inside and the cover.
6) Rinse the contact lens container with warm water to remove any soap residue.
7) Dry the case with a clean towel. Once dry you can pour in enough storing solution and put your contact lenses back in.